Lady Gaga’s Judas. This Is Getting Ridiculous

Unless you’re living under a rock, which is actually good for you at this point, you definitely know that Lady Gaga is releasing a new album this May.

Her first single, Born This Way, has already gone to become her biggest hit and she’s now prepping her second release off the album, a song titled “Judas”.

Set to be released on April 19th, during Holy Week, the song is about the betrayal of a loved one. Lady Gaga has released the cover art for the single and here it is:

And as if the cover and release date weren’t enough, Lady Gaga also revealed that the video of the song will be very similar to the video for Alejandro. She’ll reportedly be impersonating a Mary-like character and will be found kissing a Jesus character. No comment.

And in case you forgot, the video for Alejandro featured her swallowing a rosary and almost having sex in front of a Cross.

Judas is supposedly a song that doesn’t tackle religion in any way. So what she’s doing comes off as cheap and only as a way to get more hype.

Many of people wouldn’t care less about all of is. They just go gaga for Gaga. But there’s a certain limit where entertainment becomes plain ridiculous or rude and where certain boundaries should be drawn. And the sad thing? Going all religiously-controversial will definitely be promoted by today’s media, which only craves for things like this.

However, Lady Gaga’s career, which is still undoubtedly new, is already getting way overblown – especially with her way out of the box behavior and religious attitude. Some people are saying she’s copying Madonna whose attitude towards Christianity in particular is widely known. But that doesn’t give her the excuse to go excessive with everything she does.

Lady Gaga needs to tone it down on the religious stabs because at the end of the day, they will get old – and so will she.

19 thoughts on “Lady Gaga’s Judas. This Is Getting Ridiculous

1. I disagree. I applaud her for taking such a strong stance on religion. I don’t see people toning down their beliefs against homosexuals and I don’t think she should stop what she is doing. I grew up in a religious household so I guess I do understand where you are coming from, but she shouldn’t have to stop what she is doing. Just saying ๐Ÿ˜‰

• It’s only insulting if you don’t try to understand her views on the matter. I don’t think she’s against religion at all – she believes in our Lord God just as much as you or I do. She’s just trying to make a change so that people will stop rejecting others for being different or having lifestyles that aren’t of the “Christian” persuasion and trying to promote God’s message of loving eachother and not judging others for who they are. This message does not particularly come across in this song, granted, but there are definitely worse ways the Christian religion are being portrayed and spread.
        I personally don’t believe Gaga is mocking the Christian religion in any sense: instead she’s using situations and stories told in the Bible to serve as symbolism.

• I actually think Judas is better than I expected it to be. But my main problem will be with the song’s video. She’s trying too hard. I fail to see the correlation between her take on the song’s video and equality for all, no judging, etc…

2. If this phenomenon is really alien to this society, it will reject it. However, I don’t see this happening soon. She just fits in the system. I just found out that a song informing us that “it’s friday” and that after that “it’s saturday” is gaining more hits on youtube than more worthy things, worthy being a relative term.

So..:)

• Media supporting her helps a lot. Especially where she’s most popular (US notably), a place where people are heavily influenced by what their media tells them. And trust me, worthy is not a relative term with the example you mentioned :p

3. this article is dumb. i know what im talking about because im a christian and grew up a christian. christian people should be more like gaga. Jesus said do not judge anyone. Take out the trash from your eye before trying to take your brothers trash out. love everyone around you. jesus always spoke about love, and you christians only share love for a certain kind not everyone. that was the jews issues. they thought they were better than everyone else just because they carried his name. so get it straight!she is helping this world be a better place for everyone including you chritian people

• So her tackling Christianity the way she is in her videos is her way of telling everyone we should be accepting and love everyone the same? I fail to see the association between kissing Jesus, swallowing a rosary and “love thy enemy”.

4. I agree in some points.
    Gaga is trying to make the people say her name, and i think soon the pope will be mentioning GAGA too.

I loved the video of Alejandro but cant understand why the nun look and the rosary and the reason behind why the cross is on stage.

you can read an analysis of the video here:

and see if you get any relationship between the video and the biblical imagery

and as for judas, i disagree with u. the lyrics has lots of meanings and insults to religion; eg, “i’ll bring him down, a king with no crown” is a direct reference to Jesus, the king with no crown, not to mention the other stories mentioned there.

I like how lady gaga was going, i mean with meaningful music and imagery unlike what the music industry has become in the arabic world or the western world. but now Gaga has pushed it a bit too far.
    I can understand and tolerate “born this way” lyrics, but the creation story and mentioning “church” subliminally?? its a little hard for me.

anyways, we have to wait and see.

• Lady Gaga is a catholic-raised woman trying to “break free” of what her society taught her. That is what I think she’s trying to pull off with the way she handles Christianity in her music.
      I wrote this before Judas leaked actually so I didn’t comment on the song, per se, just on the prospective video and the cover and the idea in general.
      Now that I have heard Judas, I have to say that, while the lyrics are very smart and the song is quite catchy, I get what you’re saying.

5. I don’t think GaGa is trying to mock or insult anyone. She just has her ways of expressing herself, which can be pretty extreme!
    And if had a catholic education, I don’t see why she would want to offend anyone.
    Maybe she’s just blind or something?

Now everyone can analyze her music and her videos in their own way!
    In my opinion, the only video I found disgusting was Born This Way!
    The song Judas is actually amazing and the lyrics were great! Let’s just wait for the video…

• Well, the expression of those views is turning out to be insulting or mocking. She is free to do whatever she wants, but there are limits.
      From what I read, her music is her way of dealing with her life, upbringing and all. Catholicism is part of that.
      Again, my comment isn’t about the song (this was written before the song was released) but with all the song’s baggage (title, cover, upcoming video)

6. Pingback: Re. Lady Gagaโ€™s latest single « InvestmentWatch

7. Uh no you weren’t right about the video.
    Sorry to revive a dead thread but the video was actually a very Christian depiction of the struggle between good and evil with good winning out in the end. -_-